Come and discover Bangalore's Military Heritage!
Join us on a walking tour of the MEG & C and hear the stories of the valour, gallantry and courage of the “Thambi” who has served from 1800 onwards in Egypt, Ava (Burma), Java, Persia, Abyssinia, Afghanistan, Sudan, Mesopotamia, Crimea, Gallipoli, France & Flanders, South Africa and German East Africa and most places in the Sub-continent.
The “Thambi” has built Bailey bridges at 18,300 ft., the highest airfields at 12,000 ft, roads from the Red Sea to the Abyssinian capital Magdala at 5500 ft, railroads in India and elsewhere, invented the Bangalore Torpedo used worldwide, has served and led UN peacekeeping missions from the Congo across to Cambodia. Though established as an engineering enabling unit, the ‘Thambi” has also served as a combat/assault force in different theatres of war.
These were the Madras Pioneers and later - Madras Sappers & Miners who were the “ First Soldiers Of The Empire” and Free India’s Finest now housed (since 1865) in Bangalore.
Bangalore Walks is privileged to take you for a tour through the MEG & C Museum and War Memorial
How long is the walk?
We walk barely 1km over 2 hrs with several stops. That’s easy!
And we treat you well. In addition to a guided walk, you get:
- A heartening breakfast
- An exclusive look at areas not normally open to the public
- A chance to meet others with similar interests
Military Heritage Walk
A testimonial from Ujjwala Murthy:
The Military heritage walk at MEG was truly truly memorable. i am not a history buff and came on this walk out of curiosity but was totally blown by the history of the Madras Sappers and Miners. So many things made this walk memorable, just highlighting a few:
• The meticulous documentation from centuries back and the care with which everything is preserved at the museum
• Honored to place a wreath at the War memorial - just being part of the ceremony was such a privilege!
• The attention to detail and the importance to keeping everything spic and span at MEG. Saw the soldier picking small dry grass by hand at the Monkey House
• The salutes by the soldiers at every street/corner - when actually we are the ones who should be saluting them.
• The chivalry - at every occasion the women were served first. After a long time, really felt like a lady :)
• The attention to detail in getting the walk organized - the brochures, follow ups and ensuring everything goes as planned
• Last but not the least, the captivating story telling by Vijay - i think we could have all listened to you for hours. Your knowledge is truly amazing.
It was such a great experience to be part of the first military heritage walk and getting a glimpse of what is behind the MEG walls. Looking forward to the other walks now and hope more and more people sign up and experience the Military Heritage walk...i have started spreading the word around!! Thank you again for this opportunity to be part of the walk. Totally loved it!
Sun, Apr 9
ONLY INDIAN NATIONALS can join this walk, after getting advance security clearance. Children below 10 are not permitted, unfortunately
Please send a single scanned sheet to email@example.com with the following details:
1. Proof of identity/citizenship (passport/voting card);
2. Mobile/landline nos.;
3. Current address & profession.
Call/sms 98450 68416 for clarifications.
Limited places - reserve by Wednesday!
Start: MEG, Ulsoor Lake
Directions: Will be shared by email once you register.
Start time: 7am sharp! The walk ends at 10 am after breakfast
Tickets: Rs 800/head (includes breakfast)
What to wear: Cameras NOT ALLOWED!
Comfortable footwear (recommended)
Water / cap (optional)